Friday, October 16, 2009

Twilight Saga Review

Do you want to share?

Do you like this story?

Recently I just canned down The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer my girlfriend bought. I have to admit that it is not as good as I pictured them to be. I'm sorry Ms Meyer and all of the Twilight Saga fans, but I have to say it anyway. ("Why the hell you read them anyway?! Well, I was curious. Who weren't with all the hype? I couldn't review something if I never read it in the first time can I?)

You see, when a series of novel is entitled with the word "Saga", you expect that whatever they are have a quality that is grandeur, majestic, two of quality that ironically missing from the tetralogy.
Put all the mythical things aside, and it's only about a shallow love story between two people-turned-out-to-be-a-love-triangle-which-come-to-two-people-again-in-the-end story. A Harlequin story. So much of a saga.

The ending kinds of end abruptly either. When I was close to the part of the "final battle" I honestly think, "Well, if it goes the way I wanted it, then it will be enough as an amend of the time I need to finish all of the books." But, as it is turned out to be, my time is wasted nevertheless. I think Ms Meyer has betrayed all of her fans (including her rather reluctant readers) when she decided to not made Bella rip Jane's head, or Emmet skinned any of the Volturi's guards alive (that boy do need some serious angst channel he never get despite his strength and fierceness) and Jacob and his packs do serious damage to the vampire elders. It's a twist ending no one expected indeed. A major turn-off like no others.

In my humble opinion, the series can be better if:
  • Bella is not such a big selfish, unappreciative, hypocrite drama-queen. I don't know why, The terms Supermassive ***hole comes to mind everytime I think of her. Oh yeah, one reason is that because Muse is behind the story.
  • Edward is not such a  melodramatic emo-ish vampire. You're a vampire dude, toughen up!
  • Stephanie Meyer do not insist that a rock solid body could have...dimples. WTF?!
  • Meyer picked another town as the setting. It kinda logic to choose the Northwest as the setting, being the rainiest place and all. But when I think (I bet many people, too) of Northwest I think (besides the lumberjacks) of Nirvana, Mudhoney, The Melvins and now I have to kick out the images of vampires and werewolves (and somehow,.. Muse) roaming the street  that once roamed by my heroes.
  • Charlie stays as the way he is. He is my favorite character so far in the series, and he's not even a goddamn important ones. And seriously, when anyone rather to choose irrelevant character over the central ones as his most favorite character, the author should look again on how her characterization works.
  • Like I've mentioned above, the story ends with the war. The 1/4 pages of Breaking Dawn are pretty much  tell you that a major war is coming only to be concluded that that war isn't going to happen at all. It's disturbing really. In future sequel perhaps? Whatever. I don't even care who'll be the victor. The Volturi or the Cullens. All I wanted is expectation pay day. 

This is a petty review, and I do hope I don't hurt anyone by writing these. It's my own opinion anyway. It doesn't change anything. Nevertheless, my opinion remain the same. Twilight series are mediocre at best.

YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Advertisements

Advertisements

Free Website Hosting